From subjects to citizens : honor, gender, and politics in Arequipa, Peru, 1780-1854
From subjects to citizens : honor, gender, and politics in Arequipa, Peru, 1780-1854 / Sarah C. Chambers.
University Park : Pennsylvania State University Press, c1999.
x, 286 p. : maps ; 23 cm.
Introduction: The White City
1. From Loyal City to Pueblo Caudillo
2. Class and Caste: The Ambiguity of Identities
3. Families, Friends, and Festivities: Ties of Community and Culture
4. From the Church to the Courts: Efforts at Social Control
5. From Status to Virtue: The Transformation of the Honor Code
6. The Limits of Citizenship: Gender and Republican Morality
7. "Our Opinion As Free Citizens": Political Culture and Liberalism
Conclusion: The White City Revisited.
Includes bibliographical references (p. -274) and index.
0271019018 (cloth : alk. paper)
0271019026 (pbk. : alk. paper)